Different Domain Extensions and Their Significance
Choosing the domain name extension is just as important as deciding on the website name. Different domain extensions indicate different website types and niches. The extension can either captivate or throw off your prospect audience.
When the internet was launched, there were only six domain extensions – .com, .net, .org, .edu, .gov, and .mil. Today, there are over a thousand different extensions to choose from. And of the registered websites, 50% are comprised .com and .net.
Here are the most widely used domain extensions and their significance.
- .com – This is the most widely used domain extension. The extension connotes a commercial business domain. However, it is used for almost any type of website. From business pages to personal blogs, from organizations to government entities.
- .net – This domain extension is short for network. Just like the .com, this extension is widely used in almost any website niche. But right now, the alternative extension is notably more aligned with technology sites.
- .org – The .org domain extension is commonly used by organisation websites – most specifically non-profit organisations, special interest groups, and private sectors. However, anyone can register and own a .org website.
- Country-Specific – Country-specific domain extensions are fast becoming the top choice for businesses and organisations that wants to indicate their country origin. .us of USA, .au for Australia, .cn for China, .ca for Canada, .uk for United Kingdom, and .ph for Philippines. This helps the website focus on its target audience.
- .gov – Government organisations often use the .gov domain extension. Registration for the extension is restricted. This gives the .gov website a heightened level of trust and authenticity. .gov extensions are often combined with the respective country extensions.
- .edu – This domain extension is for the exclusive use of the education sector. Educational websites, schools, and learning institutions use this domain extension. Registration is restricted and is limited only to verified and accredited organisations.
- .biz – The business-specific extension is preferred by smaller business companies. Solo entrepreneurs, home business operators, and online sellers use the domain extension for their business and ecommerce design.
- .online – This domain extension is popular amongst established businesses who have recently gone online. It is their way of telling people that they are now available for business and operating virtually.
- .info – This is used by informational sites. Topics are often specific and are also added to the domain name. Food, travel, gardening, parenting, or baking tutorials, FAQs, and resources are best curated and marketed with the .info extension.
- .me – The .me extension is indicative of personal blogs and pages. This is also used by artists and entrepreneurs selling their brands and creations. Having a .me website is a great way to showcase your works, talent, services, and portfolio.
Most will go with popular domain extensions like .com or .net for a wider audience capture. These extensions are easier to remember and brandable. However, they also cost more. Some prefer the more specific and focused extensions like .biz or .info to better attract their targeted audience. This enables them to stand out and be unique. Learn more on the art of choosing the perfect domain name and the easy way to register your domain fast!