5 Easy Steps to Start a Personal Blog
Blogging or a personal blog is the present-day version of journalising. People have always been writing down records of events, ideas, and plans. We have unearthed diaries and journals of people from the past, getting insights on how they’ve lived and their viewpoint at the time.
Blogging today is not only a way of keeping records and expressing one’s viewpoints. It is also a great platform to build a brand and reach out to the world. A lot of writers, enthusiasts, and professionals have made a career and earned a living through blogging.
For most newbie bloggers, the technical side of starting a personal blog can be overwhelming. They have great ideas to share and great content to publish, they just don’t know how and where to start. Here is a quick and easy guide to starting a personal blog.
- Decide on the perfect blog name – Choosing the perfect name for your blog and website is the first step moving from having the idea of a personal blog to making it a reality. The blog name should not only represent you and the content you and the intent to create, but it should also be relevant and relatable. This is the banner and the headline of your blog. A good blog name is interesting, unique, and relevant to the content. The domain extension will also affect the overall impact of the blog name. Choose wisely.
- Get your website online – Register the blog name to establish ownership of the domain. Once registered, you gain a virtual space that you can use as you please. You will also need a blog host to help you get your blog up and running. Many domain registrars and platforms offer name and hosting packages. Find one that will suit your needs and budget. For first-time bloggers, it is recommended you find a platform that also offers domain assistance and excellent support.
- Customise your website – Unless you are a web tech wiz, you will need a website builder to start building and customising your website. A website builder helps you create beautiful websites easily. Some platforms also offer website builders and templates. Check out the design themes and template designs, then just tweak the elements to suit your taste. Have fun designing your blog – add colours, pictures, customise fonts used, and start creating pages.
- Start writing – The platform is now ready for your articles and content. Start writing but plan your content well. First, complete the website’s essential pages – the home page, the About Me page, and other pages that you think is necessary for your blog. The home page will be the intro to the blog, what it contains and its goals. The About Me page is all about you, the author. Your audience will want to know more about you. Share your inspirations, passion, ideals, and relevant experiences. Make sure to add images, videos, and other visuals to make your blog more engaging and interesting.
- Let the world know – Don’t let your blog sit there and wait for visitors. There’s a lot you can do to promote your blog! While many would just be happy writing and getting their ideas out, it would be pointless if you don’t do anything to help the blog reach its audience. In today’s virtual world, it is easy to promote anything. Share your blog on your social media accounts, engage visitors, create an email list, and start commenting on other blogs.
Blogging and owning a website may sound so technical at first. But, with the right platform to help you find the perfect domain name, register your domain, and build the website, starting a personal blog is a breeze. Domain Pilot will take care of the technical side, you just worry about the writing.